What are the best places to take in the view of Paris?
This is a great question with tons of options. We recommend seeing several of the below locations and deciding for yourself. Also note, “the” place to get that perfect photo of the Eiffel Tower is undoubtedly atop the steps of the Trocadero, not the Champ de Mars. After that the best views are debatably fun to explore on your own.
- Sacre Couer Steps-Located in the Montmartre area at the base of the Basilica. Free, arrive early and it's best at sunset
- Arc d’Triumphe - Fee for entry. Definitely book well in advance due to large crowds
- Eiffel Tower- Fee for entry. Definitely book well in advance due to large crowd
- Tour Montparnasse- has an observatory on the 56th floor and an open air terrace on its 59th floor. Benefits: your 210 meters above Paris and can see up to a 40 km radius on a clear day and your inside which means lousy weather won’t affect you. Address: Rue de l’Arrivee (15th Arrondissement) Metro Stop: Montparnasse-Bienvenue Telephone: 01 45 38 52 56 Hours: In summer from 9:30 am to 11:30 pm and in winter from 9:30 am to 10:30 pm. Last elevator ascent is 30 minutes before closing time.
- Samaritaine Department Store - a magnificent observatory with detailed explanations of the skyline. Free
- Cruising along a romantic Bateau boat ride down the Seine. One of the nicer operators is Bateaux Parisiens. Address: Port de la Bourdonnais (at the foot of the Eiffel Tower)-75007 Metro Stop:Champ de Mars/Tour Eiffel Telephone: 01 44 11 33 44 Hours: 1 hour sightseeing cruises are available from 10 am to 11 pm from April to October departing every half hour & 10am to 10 am from November to March departing every hour. Fee: 8.50/9 Euros for Adults, 4.10 Euros for Children
- La Grande Arche de la Defense with its 110 M high viewpoint. Metro Stop: Grande Arche de la Defense on Line 1 RER/ Line A Telephone: 01 4907 27 27 Hours: Open everyday from 10 am to 7 pm