What are some of the Most Famous Battles with dates and casualties?
- The Battle of Hastings and the invasion of England in 1066 by William the Conquerer. One of the best surviving records of this is the famed Bayeux tapestry, a remarkeably well survived 70 m piece of embroidered wool linen on display at the Musee de la Tapisserie de Bayeux on rue de Nesmond in the town of Bayeux in Normandy.
- Lord Nelson’s Battle at Trafalgar
- The Battle of Britain during WWII-
- The Battle of Waterloo(Belgium)-1815/Napolean
- Battle of the Bulge-Nearly defeated in 1944, Hitler staged a savage December counterattack on the 50 mile Belgian “bulge” in the Allied lines stunning the Allies and costing 80,000 American dead or wounded
- Yrpes, Belgium. A memorial marking where 54,486 Allied soldiers died during WWI is accompanied by buglers who sound every night at 8pm at the Menin Gate. In fact, the last 3 mile assault toward Paschendaele cost one Allied life for each inch of ground gained
- Verdun, France-
- D-Day Allied Invasion of June 6, 1944 on German occupied France. Codenamed Operation Overlord, over 12,000 aircraft; 150,000 ground troops; 200,000 airborne troops; 5,300 ships and landing craft; and 1,500 tanks were involved in this top-secret assault. Mention Churchill masterminding the evacuation at Dunkirk